Monday, March 19, 2012

The luck of the Irish unfortunately did not shine for me..

Things are always considered lucky or unlucky, some people are said to have all the luck.. while others are considered luckless...

For SU fans it was a lucky day for the Orange, for those who like to attend the St. Patrick's Day Parade it was a lucky green day with no snow... but here on the Back Street it was horrible.  My computer crashed..the one I do my videos on...the back up computer would not work properly and seems to have taken a dirt nap also...and so I have reverted to my Apple...which I guess you might say it is a lucky thing I have it.

The poor Irish have been cursed with all sorts of bad luck from wars to starvation.  The fact is the phrase "the luck of the Irish" is really "irony".

As far as local history goes, the Irish came to build the Chenango Canal in Madison County..a job that cost many of them their lives.  Those that did not die from illness were subjected to terrible conditions.  Hamilton was noted for a section of town that held Irish and other immigrant workers, a place of drunkenness and fighting of men that missed their homeland and loved ones..men who came here for a better life.

One of the most interesting tidbits on the Irish came from old records about the Madison County Poorhouse.  It was noted that many of the wives and children of the workers who died building the canal were put up there, and that "there were so many with Huntington's Disease"  that it would have made a great study.

The Irish also came to run the different mills along the Eatonbrook ..including the fulling and woolen mills.  Many lived in West Eaton and at one time there was a Catholic Church most likely because of them.

As for me..well I must have a bit of the Irish in me somewhere for my friends say that "if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!"


That's not really correct though...I have lots of friends and... so I am lucky in a way...and we got together in Eaton for a little St. Pat's Day party...and..since my day went to the dogs, the way it ended was fitting....well view the video...

No comments:

Post a Comment